Iowa’s AEAs and Great Prairie AEA offer the following Student-Centered Coaching Events to Iowa educators and administrators. Please note the following are offered at GPAEA:
#162408 GP – Student-Centered Coaching Lab
Julie Wright will work with a host district to facilitate coaching labs. Colleagues will observe a coaching session which includes a pre-brief, observation, and debrief. Participants observe and reflect on the coaching process. Participants improve their practice by learning from each others’ experience.
- East Location: September 25 & April 4
- West Location: September 26 & April 5
#167515 GP – Leading Student-Centered Coaching with Julie Wright
Julie Wright, National Consultant for Diane Sweeney’s Student-Centered Coaching, will host a session designed to help principals successfully lead student-centered coaching. She will tackle the challenges and share strategies to support principals in their role of leading instructional coaches. This session will be valuable for all principals and especially, principals who have had instructional coaches participate in the Student-Centered Coaching Workshops and Labs previously sponsored by GPAEA.
- September 27 at Fairfield Arts & Convention Center
Register via the Course Catalog at https://www.gpaea.org/professional-development/gpaea-pd-course-catalog/
Download PDF: GP Student-CenteredCoaching_Flyer 18
Looking for credit? These courses are open and available:
Course #160473: GP – Rational Numbers and Number Talks: Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages
Section #235580: Albia AEA Aug 8 2018
Course #160439: GP – Guided Project Learning: A new approach to efficiently implement project based learning into social studies
Section #237580: Ottumwa AEA Aug 2 2018
Course #160462: GP-Mathematical Fluency for Elementary Teachers (Renewal Credit Option)
Section #235567: Burlington AEA Aug 1 2018
Course #160410: GP – Desmos: Introduction to Graphing Calculator and Activities
Section #235582: Albia AEA July 30, 2018
Course #160410: GP – Desmos: Introduction to Graphing Calculator and Activities
Section #235512: Burlington AEA July 30 2018
Congratulations and best wishes to Great Prairie AEA’s 2018 Retirees: Anne Aney, Catherine Benson, Jan Bergman, Tom Buhrow, Jill Fugate, Linda Gittins, Connie Hammond, Lynn Hodgeman, Joe Hudson, Deb Mueller, Mary O’Brien, Vickie Parker, Gina Rappenecker, Kathy Schneider, Larry Thompson, and John Vanderzwan.
Looking for a class? Need credit? Check out courses offered in June
Check out some of our upcoming June courses in the new registration system
! For easy access use the Course Numbers
to search and get more details. To browse all of the courses in the catalog, click Show All and narrow the search to Great Prairie AEA. Please contact email@example.com
if you need assistance logging in.
Courses Offered Beginning June 2018
Jane Frizzell, Media Integration Specialist
Great Prairie AEA’s Battle of the Books competition was held April 26th at the Fairfield Arts and Convention Center. Eleven elementary and sixteen middle school teams participated. Teams first took a written test. The five top scoring teams in each division then advanced to an oral question round to determine the final winners.
Congratulations to all teams!
Elementary Winning Teams
- 1st Place Team: Mediapolis Super Readers (Danielle Peterson & Jenny McGhee, coaches) — Adrian Matteson, Shelby Schulz, Makenna Hein, Noah Schmidgall, Alton Wonderlich, Maxx Ortiz
- 2nd Place Team: WACO Untitled (Amy Langr, coach) — Wyatt Dennis, Alessandra Vargas, Elyssa Graber, Naomi Egli, Andrea Stafford, Emma Szewcyk
- 3rd Place Team: Holy Trinity Crusaders (Allison Arevalo, coach) — Addie Link, Juniper Strickland, Sheldon Kruse, Lucy Arevalo, Isabella Wheatley-Behne, Reagan Holvoet
- 4th & 5th Place Teams (Tie): Fort Madison Book Reapers (Michelle Bentler, coach) — Collin Campbell, Naudia Ruston, Kelltyn Weaver, Oliver Santiago, Liela Roberts, Isaac Thacher
- Wapello Reading Wonders (Laura Daisy, coach) — Kiara Hirst, Emily Hemphill, Keelyn Griffin, Megan Reid, Emily Wolff
Middle School Winning Teams
- 1st Place Team: Mediapolis Page Turners (Danielle Peterson & Jenny McGhee, coaches) — Allison Nalley, Ella Russell, Drew Miller, Larae Steiner, Jaydon Wirt
- 2nd Place Team: Prairie Creek (Tricia Tendick, coach) — Cole Helle, Aiden Jensen, Lilian Jones, Rith Sivaprakash, Kelsey Taylor, Catherine Yang
- 3rd Place Team: Fort Madison Book Hounds (Michelle Bentler & Angie Sodey, coaches) — Tyler Horn, Kerridwen Robert, Colton McDonald, Kaylie McFadden, Macaden Rhoer, Cale McKnight
- 4th Place Team: Indianola Book Thugs (Cindy Bauer, coach) — Isabel Christensen, Kael Christensen, Avery Grover, Soren Christensen, Lydia Grimsbo, Clair Lewis
- 5th Place Team: Newton N-TAGonists (Mindi Bartell, coach) — Benjamin Breuer, Leo Friedman, Taylor Maki, Owen Muhs, Isabelle Wilson
Team Spirit Awards
- Elementary: Morning Sun Battle Tigers (Nancy Martin, coach) — Isaac Hewitt, Delaney Griffith, Tucker Richardson, August Gieselman, Sandra Palma, Tayson Samuels
- Middle School: North Mahaska We Be Bookin’ (Kate Hite, coach) — Kei Arthur, Makayla Darland, Aiden Eischen, Cole Garman, Lane Harmon, Essica Whitehead
Iowa’s AEAs and AEA Learning Online have collaborated to move our individual professional learning and licensure registration systems to one statewide professional learning registration system. It creates greater equity and consistency in programming and resources to help support quality professional learning. Thank you for your patience as we transition to the new system!
(Course Search, Register, Print Transcripts, Etc.)
***Courses may be temporarily limited until instructors have had a chance to enter them into the new system***
HOW DO I LOGIN?
HOW DO I SEARCH FOR A COURSE?
- Login and click on ‘Courses’ in the top bar
- You will have the option to Search, Show All, or Advanced Search
- To view courses offered by Great Prairie AEA, click on Advanced Search – AEA – Great Prairie AEA (All GPAEA Courses will have the letters ‘GP’ following the course number
HOW DO I ACCESS TRANSCRIPTS?
HOW DO I PAY FOR A COURSE?
The annual Sixth Grade Math Bee sponsored by Great Prairie AEA was held May 1 at the Fairfield Arts and Convention Center. Participating were 20 school districts, including 47 teams and 218 students.
The Top Ten Individual Winners:
Top Ten Individual Winners
Top Ten Individual Winners
- 1st Place Winner: Alyssa Haynie of Mediapolis
- 2nd Place Winners (tie): Nevaya Vandello (Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont) and Morgan Drost (Oskaloosa Middle School)
- 3rd Place Winner: Quinton Schulz (Mediapolis)
- Russell McCrea (Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont)
- Nathan Calhoun (Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont)
- Easton Korell (North Mahaska), Blake Kline (Mediapolis)
- Juniper Boehler (Ottumwa)
- Paige Grothe (Ottumwa)
- Andy Knockel (North Mahaska)
Congratulations to these individual winners!
Top Team Winners
- 1st Place Team: Mediapolis – Larae Steiner, Alyssa Haynie, Jaydon Wirt, and Ella Russell
- 2nd Place Team: Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont – Johnny Burger, Russell McCrea, Lillian Fairchild, and Jackson Tuller
- 3rd Place Team: Aldo Leopold Middle School in Burlington – Victoria Almack, Lauren Briggs, Jenna Hentzel and Carson Ziegler
- 4th Place Team: North Mahaska Elementary – Andy Knockel, Easton Korrell, Lucy Gipple, and Colby Sampson
- 5th Place Team: Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont – Nevaya Vandello, Nathan Calhoun, Jack Bunnell, and Miranda Hotchkiss.
- 6th place Teams (tie): Mediapolis and Oskaloosa Middle School. From Mediapolis: Joe Sharp, Jesse Massner, Quinton Schulz, and Russell Frank. From Oskaloosa Middle School: Isabella Carman, Morgan Drost, Trevor Willett, and Gus Bunnell.
Congratulations to these teams! We are all very proud of you.
A special thank you goes out to Donna Bohlmann from Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont for once again being our MC for the event. Many, many thanks go to the teachers that work behind the scene to prepare the students for this day, spending the entire behind closed doors checking tests during the competition. We would also like to thank the parents that volunteered to be proctors during the testing. It takes many people to run this event and we appreciate everyone.
The Math Team at Great Prairie AEA
by Katie Salisbury, BCSD Secondary Extended Learning Services, Aldo Leopold Middle School
Mr. Fleece and I are very proud of our students who represented our Burlington Community School District at State Future Problem Solving this past month in Ames! We had one junior team receive 4th place overall in their division and our middle team received a 5th place for their action plan skit. This was the second state appearance for our two 6th grade teams and high school team. The students were focused and worked hard on this year’s topic of cloud storage. We are excited to see these teams continue to grow! Please congratulate these students when you see them.
6th grade team #1: Josephine Blazic, Alisia Brok, Penelope Taylor and Carson Ziegler
6th grade team #2: Lauren Briggs, Jenna Hentzel, Joseph Jolin and David King
8th graders Anaia Mack from Aldo Leopold, Kirsten Walz from Edward Stone with freshman Hannah Hentzel from BHS
Kate Cole, School Psychologist
What a successful event at Ft. Madison High School!
On April 25, FMHS hosted a Transition Resource Event for students and families. Transition services are provided to assist students in smooth transitions to postsecondary living, learning, and working based on students’ individualized interests and needs. This event included a panel presentation by local educators and service providers, with plenty of questions asked by audience members. Parents, students, and teachers engaged in conversations intended to build the success of their students, and connections were made between students and support opportunities to help them reach their goals.
FMHS students were involved in baking cookies for the event and creating the flier to invite families. A BIG “thank you!” to Abby (FMHS student) for emceeing the event!
Panel participants included: Aleena Garr (Vocational Rehabilitation), Lenae Greene (Iowa Works), Ryanne Wood (SEIL), Kelly Wallace (GPAEA Parent Educator Partnership Coordinator), Kate Cole (GPAEA Transition Coordinator), Angie Mickelson (SCC Disability Coordinator), Jillian Flanders (Job Corps), Mary Hofmann (Intermediary).
Way to go, Ft Madison High School Special Education teachers in supporting students and families!!
Our Agency Board of Directors and the Board members of the local school districts in our Area volunteer countless hours of their time each year to serve their communities and schools. Please consider thanking the school and AEA Board members that you know throughout our Area. Click here to learn more about the Great Prairie AEA Board.
A special THANK YOU to our Great Prairie AEA Board of Directors:
Celebrate Teachers, May 7-11, and especially on Tuesday, May 8, 2018, National Teacher Day. Thank a teacher for making schools great! Learn more at NEA.