The annual Sixth Grade Math Bee sponsored by Great Prairie AEA was held May 1 at the Fairfield Arts and Convention Center. Participating were 20 school districts, including 47 teams and 218 students.
The Top Ten Individual Winners:
- 1st Place Winner: Alyssa Haynie of Mediapolis
- 2nd Place Winners (tie): Nevaya Vandello (Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont) and Morgan Drost (Oskaloosa Middle School)
- 3rd Place Winner: Quinton Schulz (Mediapolis)
- Russell McCrea (Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont)
- Nathan Calhoun (Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont)
- Easton Korell (North Mahaska), Blake Kline (Mediapolis)
- Juniper Boehler (Ottumwa)
- Paige Grothe (Ottumwa)
- Andy Knockel (North Mahaska)
Congratulations to these individual winners!
Top Team Winners
- 1st Place Team: Mediapolis – Larae Steiner, Alyssa Haynie, Jaydon Wirt, and Ella Russell
- 2nd Place Team: Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont – Johnny Burger, Russell McCrea, Lillian Fairchild, and Jackson Tuller
- 3rd Place Team: Aldo Leopold Middle School in Burlington – Victoria Almack, Lauren Briggs, Jenna Hentzel and Carson Ziegler
- 4th Place Team: North Mahaska Elementary – Andy Knockel, Easton Korrell, Lucy Gipple, and Colby Sampson
- 5th Place Team: Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont – Nevaya Vandello, Nathan Calhoun, Jack Bunnell, and Miranda Hotchkiss.
- 6th place Teams (tie): Mediapolis and Oskaloosa Middle School. From Mediapolis: Joe Sharp, Jesse Massner, Quinton Schulz, and Russell Frank. From Oskaloosa Middle School: Isabella Carman, Morgan Drost, Trevor Willett, and Gus Bunnell.
Congratulations to these teams! We are all very proud of you.
A special thank you goes out to Donna Bohlmann from Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont for once again being our MC for the event. Many, many thanks go to the teachers that work behind the scene to prepare the students for this day, spending the entire behind closed doors checking tests during the competition. We would also like to thank the parents that volunteered to be proctors during the testing. It takes many people to run this event and we appreciate everyone.
The Math Team at Great Prairie AEA