Ellie Hamilton, Assistive Technology Specialist, and Teresa Miller, Assistive Technology/Media Clerk from Great Prairie AEA welcomed Educators, Parents & Staff to discover new tools and resources for students and experience them hands-on on September 12 at GPAEA Ottumwa and September 19 at GPAEA Burlington. Learn more about Assistive Technology at https://www.gpaea.org/services/assistive-technology/.
- Wishing you a successful 2017-18 school year!
- GPAEA Website: New Look, Same Navigation
- Instructional Services Professional Learning Opportunities
- GPAEA Science Support for 2017-18
- GPAEA Sunsets Eduvision Portal
- Special Education Professional Learning Opportunities
- Heads up: Web Accessibility continues to be a hot issue
- Join us for a Blended Learning Coaching Academy
- Join us for an Assistive Technology Expo – September 12 & 19
- Opportunity for High School Juniors and Seniors – United State Senate Youth Program
- STEM Council, Kemin Industries Open Call for Nominations
- Get Ready for a New Name: AEA Learning Online
- Burlington Autism Classroom Receives Support from GPAEA
Welcome to the 2017-18 school year! I hope everyone is off to a great start and would like to thank you for making me feel so welcome to Great Prairie AEA. I am excited to work with the quality staff and leadership at Great Prairie AEA who continue the course for improvement and enhanced learning outcomes for all children throughout southeast Iowa. I look forward to meeting and learning from each of your districts as we partner to improve student achievement for southeast Iowa students.
Dr. Cindy Yelick, Chief Administrator
To learn more about Great Prairie AEA’s new Chief Administrator visit: Yelick Selected as the Next Chief Administrator for Great Prairie AEA
GPAEA.ORG has a new look, but navigation remains the same! Take some time to explore the new site and learn more about the services that your AEA provides.
Please register for FAST Bridge Training. This training is intended to demonstrate how to utilize the many reports available in FAST after the screening is completed. This is open to a district and/or school teams of 3 to 5 administrators and coaches.
FastBridge Training Description: Training will focus on use and interpretation of FAST data collected during the fall screening period. Participants will be introduced to features of the various reporting options available and learn how to interpret the data displayed. Data will be analyzed on both the system and student level. The training will also present intervention assignments and progress monitoring functionality and walk participants through the process of setting up groups and administering progress monitoring tools.
- October 10 – Ottumwa, Registration Link, by September 19th
- October 12 – FACC, Registration Link, by September 21
- October 12 – Burlington AEA, Registration Link, by September 21
Kuder Navigation System Training
- September 8, 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM at Burlington AEA
- GPAEA will host a training for staff using the Kuder Navigator Career Planning System.
- Register at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScy4rRFLU_ra4QXNhIjTqEtmlqJfzvpjHdMilAXb63tEt8tZA/viewform
- September 11 at FACC
- September 13 – 8:00 – 11:00 AM at Burlington AEA OR 12:30 to 3:30 PM at Fairfield
- September 14 – 8:00 – 11:00 AM at Ottumwa AEA OR 12:30 to 3:30 PM at Albia AEA
GPAEA has set aside two days to work with local district to help create or refine your 504 process. Fred Kinne from the Iowa Dept of Ed will be there to help your team solidify a meaningful process to work with identification and monitoring of 504 plans. Please fill out this form in order to help GPAEA plan for space and resources for the 504 planning dates.
- September 18 at Ottumwa AEA – Room 21C
- September 19 at Burlington AEA – Room 21C
Iowa Testing Program Presentations at Great Prairie AEA
September 18, 2017
12:30 – 4:00 PM
September 19, 2017
12:30 – 4:00 PM
Following the September Curriculum Network meetings in Ottumwa and Burlington, Great Prairie AEA will host Iowa Testing Programs (ITP) for a 3-hour informational session. The first 45 to 60 minutes of each session will be a presentation of the tests they offer (Iowa Assessments, the Iowa Algebra Readiness Assessment, Iowa End-Of-Course) and how to register for them (registration, barcodes, accepting tryouts).
ITP will also highlight test security, caution about test preparation, and review accommodations. The rest of the session (approximately 90 minutes) will focus on the outputs of the tests, with fairly specific “how to’s” on the various reports ITP offers: how and when to access them and recommended audience(s).
A key element of the session will be a leave-behind packet with an example of each report and the URL path to follow to access it.
Links to register for this year’s Iowa Science Standards Professional Development Offerings are now available for most sessions! For those with new teachers, or ones who haven’t had Modules 1 & 2 training- please note that some of these sessions start Sept 1!
We will be offering “Supporting Iowa Science Standards for Administrators and Instructional Coaches with Modules 1 & 2” again this year. Module 3 support for Administrators and Coaches will be offered in 2018.
Here is the Google doc that contains all available sessions with links to register. There is also a link to the statewide spreadsheet listing Science Standards PD in other AEAs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rLWkJaw-SlO82HVVJ68NJ0qmNmas3kN4ifvL0SjwDvo/edit
641-682-8591 Ext. 5219 Ottumwa Office
319-753-6561 Ext. 1162 Burlington Office
GPAEA will no longer be supporting a shared Eduvision video portal. GPAEA will sunset the video portal on October 30, 2017, which means it will no longer be accessible from the GPAEA Web Site. In order to keep the videos that have been uploaded by you or members of your district, the videos will need to be downloaded (unless you kept a copy, of course!) before the sunset date or if your district would like to pursue your own Portal, we have been working with Eduvision to offer a transition plan for those GPAEA school districts that would like to retain their videos and have a portal of their own for an annual price of $997. Eduvision will also move your content that is currently in the GPAEA Eduvision video portal for you.
Eduvision assures that a district portal will be:
- Safe, Secure & Managed – Content is safe with the ability to password protect, make videos private… and more.
- Enterprise ready – Unlimited channels, channel managers, live events, and users.
- No Advertisements – Never any ads.
- No Questionable Content – Never any questionable content displayed with your videos. Your content, image, and brand are never compromised.
- In-Video Interaction – Quickly add polls/questions and gather feedback RIGHT FROM YOUR VIDEO
- Committed to Compliance – Enabling Schools to be Quickly WCAG Compliant for live streaming and on-demand video delivery through automatic Closed Captions.
- Affordable Annual Subscription – We can create an offering to meet any budget.
So, the only action you need to take is to download your videos before the sunset date or contact JDL about moving them to a portal of your own.
To learn more please visit: www.jdlhorizons.com
Upcoming Special Education Professional Learning Opportunities
- Iowa Alternate Assessment Training for Teachers of Grades K-6 participating in Early Literacy Alternate Assessment Administration – Burlington
- Iowa Alternate Assessment Training for Teachers of Grades K-6 participating in Early Literacy Alternate Assessment Administration – Ottumwa
- New Teacher Training for Grades 3-11 Iowa Alternate Assessment Administration – Burlington
- New Teacher Training for Grades 3-11 Iowa Alternate Assessment Administration – Ottumwa
- Teaching Students with Dyslexia and Dysgraphia – Burlington
- Teaching Students with Dyslexia and Dysgraphia – Ottumwa
- Phonemic Awareness: Data Based Decision Making – Ottumwa
- Phonemic Awareness: Data Based Decision Making – Burlington
- Elementary: Classroom Strategies for Social Emotional Behavioral Learners
- Secondary: Classroom Strategies for Social Emotional Behavioral Learners
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) Tier 1 Training – Burlington
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) Tier 1 Training – Ottumwa
- Foundations in Autism – Ottumwa
- Foundations in Autism – Burlington
- ST-AT 2 Structured Teaching for Autism – Communication, Social & Leisure Components – Burlington
- ST-AT 1 and 2 Structured Teaching for Autism Combined 4 Day – Ottumwa
- ST-AT 1 and 2 Structured Teaching for Autism Combined 4 Day – Burlington
- Evidence-Based Practices in Autism – Social Narratives, Video Modeling, & Peer-Mediated Instruction – Ottumwa
- Evidence-Based Practices in Autism – Social Narratives, Video Modeling, & Peer-Mediated Instruction – Burlington
Non-Violent Crisis Prevention and Intervention (aka CPI)
- Booster Session for Nonviolent Crisis Intervention – Ottumwa
- Booster Session for Nonviolent Crisis Intervention – Burlington
Special Education Concepts
- Foundations of Special Education for Administrators – Ottumwa
- Foundations of Special Education for Administrators – Burlington
Foundations of Special Education
Great Prairie will offer Foundations of Special Education course this fall. This course will provide principals and other district administrators an opportunity to gain knowledge and skills in the supervision and administration of special education services. Sessions will be held in Ottumwa on October 10 and 24 from 8:30 – 4:00. Sessions will be held in Burlington on October 11 and 25 from 8:30 – 4:00. Registration links are below:
- October 10 & 24 – Foundations of Special Education for Administrators – Ottumwa
- October 11 & 25 – Foundations of Special Education for Administrators – Burlington
- Google folder with a variety of resources around the topic of web accessibility
- Web Accessibility PowerPoint
Recording of presentation conducted by Juicebox Interactive and Dubuque CSD (one of the first districts in Iowa to receive an OCR complaint).
Please feel free to share these resources with your technology director or other individuals who help you manage your website. You may also refer to this tip sheet for more information or contact Jennifer Woodley.
GPAEA will be hosting a Blended Learning Coaching Academy with Marci Kish for Instruction Coaches on September 21, January 9, & April 6
Participants will learn about what is needed to build a blended learning environment from the ground up including constructing an understanding of the blended learning rotation model; designing a framework and competencies that coaches can use to move towards the blended learning model in a classroom, school, or district; develop a data rich culture within the classroom to monitor student progress and advance students at their own pace; as well as construct unit plans that can be used with teachers to create multiple paths for the students to take while mastering learning objectives.
Location: Fairfield Arts and Convention Center, 200 North Main, Fairfield, IA
Audience: All TLC coaches, model teachers, and administrators