Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) requires states to report the percent of parents with a child receiving special education services who report that schools facilitated parent involvement as a means of improving services and results for children with IEPs.
The Iowa Department of Education is gathering these data as a census for both students with and without an IEP using a brief three-question survey.
Survey Link (for Parents of Students in Great Prairie AEA ONLY) – https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/1617AEA15
Please use the link above to answer the following questions for each of your children. The survey will allow you to answer these questions for up to five children.
- How old was your child on January 1, 2017? (choose 3-21)
- Does your child have an Individualized Education Program – IEP? (y/n)
- Did the school your child is currently attending facilitate (request, encourage or initiate) your involvement as a means of improving services and results for your child? (y/n)
The survey will be open April 15 through June 30.
If you have any questions, please contact Meredith MacQuigg, Data Consultant, Iowa Department of Education, 515.494.5610 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Post updated throughout the month. Did we miss something? Send your school news to email@example.com.
Note: The articles compiled in this list come from independent media sources who are solely responsible for their content. GPAEA staff did not participate in writing any of these articles and GPAEA does not necessarily endorse the content of the articles. Some articles may be available only by subscription.
The goal is to promote and support networking amongst area elementary, middle school, and high school science teachers in GPAEA. All science work is focused on supporting teachers in their learning and implementation of the new Iowa Core Science Standards and 21st Century (Redesigned) Learning for both the State Science Standards Modules and the GPAEA Science Networks.
Note: The Science Standards Module trainings are sequential and build on each other. For that reason, Module 1 or Supporting Iowa Science Standards for Administrators and Instructional Coaches Part 1 is needed to be prepared for Modules 2 and 3. If teachers or coaches have not attended a Module 1 session that is the prerequisite for Module 2, email Tami or Rosemary to discuss the option for background learning that would be needed before attending the Module 2 learning opportunities listed.
Iowa Science Standards Module 2 learning opportunities: *Prerequisite for Module 2: Module 1 -OR- Supporting Iowa Science Standards for Administrators and Instructional Coaches Part 1.
- June 8-9, 2017 Burlington GPAEA office (link to register)
- June 12-13, 2017 Ottumwa GPAEA office (link available on April 5)
- June 19-20, 2017 Ottumwa GPAEA office (primarily reserved for Albia CSD- limited number of openings-link available on April 5 to those outside Albia CSD)
- Blended Option Fall 2017 (8 hours in-district work plus 1 face-to-face date)
- Oct 9, 2017 EAST with in-district work starting in August
- Oct 2, 2017 WEST with in-district work starting in August
Iowa Science Standards Module 3 learning opportunities **Prerequisite: Module 2 -OR- Supporting Iowa Science Standards for Administrators and Instructional Coaches Part 1. NOTE: All of the following are actually K-12, but we would like to continue to support teacher collaboration across the agency and have designated dates to encourage this.
- HS East Sept 18-19, 2017
- HS West Oct 12-13, 2017
- MS East Sept 28-29, 2017
- MS West Oct 30-31, 2017
- 6th grade/K-12 West September 25-26, 2017
- Grades 4-5 East Oct 19-20, 2017
- Grades 4-5 West Nov 6-7, 2017
- Grades 2-3 East Oct 23-24, 2017
- Grades 2-3 West Oct 26-27, 2017
- Grades K-1 East Nov 13-14, 2017
- Grades K-1 West Dec 4-5, 2017
- Summer Session Option- Dates TBA
Iowa Science Standards Module 3 learning opportunities for Admin & Coaches ***Prerequisite: Module 2 -OR- Supporting Iowa Science Standards for Administrators and Instructional Coaches Part 1.
- November 2, 2017 Supporting Iowa Science Standards for Administrators and Instructional Coaches Part 2 (Ottumwa site)
- December 12, 2017 Supporting Iowa Science Standards for Administrators and Instructional Coaches Part 2 (Burlington site)
Science Networks- Collaborative Curriculum Development time
- HS East January 8-9, 2018
- HS West January 25-26, 2018
- MS East February 12-13, 2018
- MS West February 5-6, 2018
- Elementary East March 12-13, 2018
- Elementary West March 8-9, 2018
Click here to register.
Download PDF: SI- Steve C
April is Autism Awareness Month. Today, one in 68 American children is diagnosed with autism (CDC). Great Prairie AEA provides consultative support for children birth through 21 years of age who are identified with an Autism Spectrum Disorder or who demonstrate autism-like characteristics. Learn more about our services at http://www.gpaea.org/en/services/autism/.
GPAEA Success Stories
Shout out to our GPAEA Challenging Behavior & Autism Staff: Teran Buettell, Crystal Hornback, Sarah McCollum & Julie Thomas. Thank you for all that you do for area students and families!
Teran Buettell, School Psychologist
Crystal Hornback, Autism Specialist
Sara McCollum, Special Education Consultant
Julie Thomas, School Psychologist