The Parent & Educator Connection (PEC) would like to share with you the services we offer to help make your year a positive and productive one. The PEC is part of a statewide network of parents and educators working together since 1984 to support educators and parents of children and young adults with special needs.
The PEC provides one-on-one assistance to parents or educators when there is a need for information or direct support. We provide information through our library on topics including disabilities, parenting, and instructional and behavior management strategies. The PEC shares information about community resources and supports with parents and educators as requests are made.
Support of the IEP or IFSP Process
One of the primary ways the PEC serves parents and educators is by supporting good home-school communication. This includes providing support to families so that they can more effectively participate in the IFSP (Individualized Family Service Plan) or IEP (Individual Education Plan) process. This may include:
- Explaining IFSP/IEP process
- Reviewing procedural safeguards/parent rights
- Helping parents organize their thoughts in preparing for a meeting
- Attending IFSP/IEP/or other school meetings after being asked by the school, parents or AEA staff
Electronic Newsletters will be distributed two times this school year to parents of children who have an IEP or an IFSP. School administrators, special education teachers, AEA staff and our community partners will also receive an electronic version of the newsletter.
Our hope is that the newsletters are helpful to families, educators and community partners by providing information on topics of interest and activities within GPAEA. We understand that with such a broad audience there may be some topics that pertain to your situation and some that are less relevant. We ask you to glance through each issue, check out the calendar of upcoming events and learning opportunities, and see what meets your needs. If you would like to be added to our distribution list for the newsletter, please contact us at the address below.
Watch for these upcoming PEC Activities:
- Iowa Transition Conference 2015 – September 22-24, 2015 at Marriott Coralville Hotel and Conference Center, Coralville, IA
- Parents As Presenters workshop – September 25 & 26, 2015 at Drury Inn & Suites, 5505 Civic Mills Parkway, West Des Moines IA
Apply for this workshop and it will teach and demonstrate the skills you need to effectively share your story with college students and community providers. More information is provided on the Parent Educator Connection website.
- RESPECT Training – target audience, parents & educators, limited enrollment-Sept.30th, Oct. 13th, Oct. 27th and Nov.10th. Must attend all 4 training sessions to receive credit.
As part of the GPAEA website, the Parent & Educator Connection posts the newsletters, tips for parents and educators, a workshop and events calendar, and links to sites of interest to parents and educators at www.gpaea.org. Click on Services tab, scroll down & click on Parent – Educator Connection.
641-682-8591 ext. 5517
- Kate Cole – Educator Coor. – Burlington – 319-753-6561 ext.3022
- Kim Kirchner – Regional Director – Burlington – 319-753-6561 ext.2115
Central & Western Region
- Kathy Achenbach – Educator Coor. – Albia – 641-932-5003 ext.5825 – Western
- Michelle Ryan – Educator Coor. – Ottumwa – 641-682-8591 ext. 5359 – Central