Media resources help extend, explain and invite students to the curriculum. The more you know about what media is available to you and your students, the better. With that in mind, this winter I have been doing “When…Use” sessions with several groups. The workshop introduces teachers to the online databases and media catalog in relation to what is going on in their classroom.
Become familiar with the resources linked to the second box on the GPAEA Media Library website. One of the pages there is one I use to introduce teachers to seven of our media resources. You will also see comments from other teachers in our AEA starting towards the bottom of the page. It’s called “When…Use.”
Comments from teachers about Media Resources:
- Mike – “When teaching Health I will use Human Relations Media content”. (You can search the producer Human Relations Media and digital video)
- Linda & Kathy – “When I am working on the circulatory system, I will use the PowerKids Life Science database. When I am working on teaching computer skills, I will use the CyberSmarts database.”
- Carol – “When we do biographies in middle school, I am going to strongly encourage teachers to use the Media Catalog to get new titles!!”
- Lorna – “PowerKids Life Science works great to work on elements of nonfiction (topic, main idea, and supporting details) with fourth graders. They loved the mammals project and made an extreme newsletter using pages from their notes.”
- Holly – “I am going to use BookFlix in my Reading Centers”
- Charlotte – “When we do Text Talks, we can use Visual Thesaurus.”
More ideas and the resources to match!
Use SNAP media catalog for digital video and ebooks!
When you are teaching about green environment, recycling, and new energies:
- Use the following Landmark Media digital video series:
- Series: Green Matters: What in the world is going on / 6 titles including:
Green matters: Carbon(less) footprint
Green matters: Eco-tourism
Green matters: Environmental Heroes
- Series: Green Science: Helping Planet Earth / 5 titles including
The science of energy independence
The science of recycling and design
The science of sustainability
- Series: Eco=Kids Explore / 5 titles including
- Series: Eco Company / 13 titles including
California Academy of science rain forest
Leftover green beans
Re–using our trash
Sustainable crops in India
- Use the following Bullfrog Films digital video title – Addicted to Plastic
This point of view style documentary is the result of three years of filming in 12 countries on 5 continents, including two trips to the middle of the Pacific Ocean where plastic debris accumulates. The film details plastic’s path over the last 100 years and provides a wealth of expert interviews on practical and cutting edge solutions to recycling, toxicity and biodegradability. These solutions – which include plastic made from plants – will provide viewers with a new perspective about our future with plastic. Available as 52 minute digital video as well as broken into shorter chapter clips.
- Use the following Rosen ePoint & Heineman Acorn Read Aloud ebook titles for elementary students:
- We can help the environment
- Sinister sludge: oil spills and the environment
- What can we do about toxins in the environment?
Use the following Rosen ePoint ebook series for elementary students:
- How to be Earth friendly / 6 titles including:
Earth friendly buildings
Earth friendly energy
Earth friendly transportation
3. Appreciation of our planet, try the Film Ideas digital video series Treks in a Wild World.
Series takes you on a trip with the intrepid trekkers as they travel to far flung regions where they embark on incredible journeys combining ecology, anthropology and history with action sports and outdoor pursuits while providing a panoramic view of some of the most beautiful and remote places in the world. 42 Titles including: Arctic hiking in Alaska, Biking the Continental Divide, Biking the Kokopelli Trail, Canoeing the Rio Grande, Climbing Mount Tikora, Hiking the Appalachian Trail, Horse packing in Yellowstone, Sea kayaking the Na Pali Coast, Trekking in Darjeeling, India, Trekking in Peru…
4. When you are planning, consider the GPAEA Media Review Blog –
Two subjects focus on media resources that provide opportunities for students to explore:
Kristin Steingreaber, Media Specialist
800-622-0027 ext. 5265